For all you soup and instant pot lovers, I give you an easy and deliciously deceiving instant pot soup, loaded with flavour and yes, nutrition!
It’s true, I love soup and I used to love my instant pot. The truth is, during the pandemic, the instant pot has remained in my storage…hardly being used.
I think I found a reason to bring it back out for these colder, soup, weather months.
The poor disowned instant pot.
I was wondering why I wanted an appliance so bad only to have it stored away now, and I realized that I mainly used it for things that I didn’t have time to simmer or defrost on days where I didn’t pre-plan a meal or days I was running from school to hockey practice to ballet to the gym and back.
Wow, side note, that was crazy.
The truth is, I think I lost my need for the instant pot. I suddenly didn’t need meals on an “instant” and I started making palau (chicken and rice) on the stove again, we had time so I pre-planned a lot of meals.
Even soups, I actually primarily slow-cook on the stove. Having said that, I recalled a killer chicken and tomatoes soup that my daughter actually ate when I was on my 23-day program earlier in the year…it was a slow-cooked tomato soup with pieces of chicken, a small amount of vinegar and spices and it was delicious.
Now, my daughter has been asking a lot about soups, such as ramen or Maggi noodles, and Lipton chicken soup. While I am ok with that once in a while, I honestly don’t want to be my soup in a rush to be instant noodles and processed stuff too often.
So…instant pot re-entered our lives.
And a killer instant pot soup recipe was born.
Here is the recipe, but feel free to use the pasta noodle of your choice: elbow macaroni, penne, farfalle, all work great!
If you do not eat meat, you can use a veggie burger patty (chopped), in place of a sausage, or ground round.
Instant Pot Soup with Sausage and Rotini
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 Italian chicken sausages chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup rotini pasta dry
- 3 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar leave out if you don't like tartness
- Put your Instant pot on saute mode.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, cumin, and sausage. Saute until the sausage has slightly browned and the onions are translucent (turning clear).
- Press stop/cancel on the instant pot.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (yup, dump them in).
- Close and turn on the pot to cook for 15min, high pressure is fine.
- Once vented, adjust your seasonings with salt and pepper as you wish.
RELATED: Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup with Chicken
For more pasta recipes see below, click here.