One of my most favourite ways to use leftover quinoa and sneak in some veggies!
I am so fortunate and thankful that my kids actually like quinoa, or as they like to call it “bubble rice.” It’s one of my favourite grains, I love it as a substitute for rice, I like to eat it with salad, seafood, you name it.
However, as often as I do make it, I realized I was having it leftover. I also noticed I really was struggling to get my kids to eat vegetables. So I came up with a fun and easy snack that combined both quinoa and veggies in a convenient snack.
And along came Quinoa Patties!!!
This is so easy, it’s a great way to use up leftover quinoa (or brown rice if you aren’t a quinoa fan) and some veggies that may be close to spoiling…or you just want to get more into your diet (or your kids’ diet).
It’s also a convenient snack. I make them for after school when we are running in between activities, or put it in their lunches, or I use them as a quick dinner idea with a salad and some chicken or beans (what have you). Whatever the case, we all good use quick and easy recipes that are healthful.
So I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Below is the detailed recipe, or watch my video for a step by step and make them with me!
Ingredients for the Quinoa Patties
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped (frozen) broccoli and zucchini
- chopped chives or green onions
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons of flour (add more if desired)
- 1 egg
- Avocado oil for greasing (optional)
- In a bowl add the quinoa, garlic, vegetables, chives, cheese and salt, and pepper and mix together.
- Add the whole egg and mix again.
- Add the flour and mix until you get a dough-like consistency (should be moldable by hand). If you need, add more flour until you reach the consistency where you can work with it and shape it.
- Grease your baking sheet with oil to prevent sticking (optional step).
- Take your mixture in your hand and spoon out less than a golf-size amount and pat it into a pattie shape. Then line on your baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden
The recipe makes about 6 patties.
For a fun variation of this pattie, try different flavours. You can add black beans and cilantro for a Mexican flavour, or my personal favourite, add some feta and make it Greek-Style.
Whatever you choose, make it work for you, have fun with it and enjoy.
See you soon!