If you like churros, you will LOVE this no-sugar churros popcorn recipe, you will go NUTS over it. This is a perfect snack for movie night, after school, or even a dessert!
So I started popping my own corn. I’m not a huge popcorn fanatic, but my kids are. However, I’m wary of microwave popcorn and bagged processed stuff very often.
Yes, I read maybe way too much and get paranoid…but I also know better.
While corn is not always the best to digest, if they are going to eat it, I would much rather I pop it fresh and control whatever we are topping it with. Furthermore, I find it fun. I love making an activity of spreading out some bags, some toppings, and having the kids shake their favourite flavourings into their own personal baggies.
There is something special about watching and listening to the popping of corn kernels.
On one of these occasions, I got the inkling to do a cinnamon and sugar version…long story short…yum!
Yet, I knew I could make it without the sugar.
So here is what I came up with. Last time I made it my niece told me, “tastes kind of like Churros!”
A new snack idea was born: churros popcorn.
So genius right? Churros Popcorn!!
Churros is always a winning flavour and for some reason, it reminds me of Disneyland and all things fun (which we could always use more of).
I took it one step further, wanting the kids to get more protein and healthy fats in their diet…and added some roasted nuts. The result is a winning snack!
So here we have No Sugar “Churro” Popcorn (nuts optional but recommended).
No-Sugar Churros Popcorn
- non-stick pot with lid
- baking sheet
- 1 cup mixed nuts I used pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp monk fruit sweetener liquid works best, but you can use dry (in that case mix with the oil first)
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp monk fruit sweetener dry
- On a baking sheet add your nuts, oil and sweetener. Mix well and spread evenly.
- Roast on the top rack of the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray and let cool.
- Pop your corn kernels in a pot with a lid, do this on medium to high heat (not too high). You don't want the kernels to be popped so fast that it's still hard or burns. Shake the pot to keep all the kernels distributed. Or if you have a popcorn maker, use that. Once popped set aside.
- In a bowl mix together your cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Melt your butter.
- In a large bowl or container, mix the popcorn, the butter and cinnamon mixture. Shake it well until everything is mixed together. You can also do this in batches if it is easier for you.
- Once mixed, take your nuts and give it a good shake / mix up.
- Serve in a bowl, or individual cups, or save in a mason jar for later!
Some notes about this snack
It’s important to note that you can make extra nuts and just keep on the side as well. That alone makes a delicious snack.
Adding to the popcorn, however, just elevates it to give a mix of protein and starch. Furthermore the olive oil adds a richness that creates a perfect balance to the sweetness of the cinnamon and sweetened popcorn.
The beauty of this snack is that you can tailor it to more or less cinnamon, whatever makes you happy.
And, if you really don’t need or want to avoid sugar, simple go for the real sugar or coconut sugar.
I won’t tell 😉
For more snack recipes that are relatively easy and healthy visit my snack archives.