Make this hearty, creamy broccoli and cheese and chicken soup to warm your body, soul and make you feel ‘all the feels’ this fall.
A perfect bowl of comfort.
That is what this soup is to me. In fact, I have always felt soup comforting. I’m not quite sure why, but my love for soup has preceded my love for all other foods. Though I have to say broccoli and cheese, I’m surprised how much I love that combination now. Growing up, you couldn’t pay me to eat broccoli, I detested it.
Now, I’m sitting here trying to grinding up my last amount before it spoils, as it MUST get used.
Frankly, I have made it a goal of mine to make more soup vs. succumbing towards just buying it. I remember always wanting to order the broccoli and cheese soup with a crostini at Cactus Club, and then they removed it from the menu and I was peeved. However, that’s not the reason I looked towards creating a recipe.
I want to control the ingredients, as well as just play around more with the flavours I always enjoy. Though I love soup, I often tinker with any version I bring home by adding salt, hot sauce, vegetables, an egg, or some interesting seasoning to make it “my own.”
I thought it was time I tested out my hand on creating a broccoli and cheese soup. My version…it’s made with milk, not cream. It also has a helping of shredded chicken…and garlic (if you are surprised there, well then you must not know how much I love garlic). Garlic and broccoli have a beautiful marriage in this soup. As for the milk vs. cream, using a rue-type technique you really do not lose out on the creaminess. I promise.
Ok, without further delay…here is a healthier, and fool-proof, version of broccoli and cheese soup with chicken.
Broccoli and Cheese Soup with Chicken
- Mini blender or small food processor
- 2 tbsp butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup low-fat milk 1% or 2% works best
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Chicken and Broccoli Mixture - To Add to Soup Base
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli minced
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken or baked chicken shredded and minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp harissa or chilli powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded marble cheddar
- Shred and mince the chicken in your mini food processor and set aside.
- Mince the broccoli and set aside.
- In a pan, add your olive oil, the chicken, the broccoli, onion powder, garlic, and chilli powder.
- Lightly sautee and remove from heat.
- Start on the soup base by sauteeing onion and garlic in the butter.
- Add the flour and mix well to make a rue.
- Once browned, add in the both milks and the chicken broth and whisk continously on medium heat.
- Once blended and warmed, add in the chicken and broccoli mixture and continue to mix.
- Add in water to thin the mixture slightly.
- Let come together to a light simmer, not boiling, and add the cheese.
- Continue to mix on low to medium heat.
- Once fully mixed in and no cheese or clumps are there, remove from heat. If you want you can further emulsify with a hand blender, however it's fine to leave as is (I enjoy it with bits of broccoili).
- Pour in a bowl and serve with garlic toast or as is.
And if you like this recipe, you may want to check out my take on Broccoli and Cheese Rice.